A simple pizza party — with guests getting involved in laying on their favorite toppings — will make for a good time for everyone and less work for you. This works especially well if you want to get together with families (kids love pizza!). Here's how to set up a party:
- Decide what you want to use for a crust. Purchased Italian bread shells or prepared focaccia are easiest; you can also use refrigerated or frozen dough. Stop by the Publix Bakery and place a special order for fresh refrigerated dough. Also consider a homemade pizza dough — it takes less time to make than you'd think, and some of your friends may be masters in the kneading department.
- Set out a number of options for sauce, such as traditional red pizza sauce, white sauce (like purchased Alfredo sauce), purchased pesto and olive oil.
- Choose the toppings. This is the fun part! You could ask everyone to bring their absolute favorite toppings, from goat cheese and smoked salmon to blue cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Also provide an array of traditional toppings — pepperoni, onions, olives, mushrooms, green peppers and the like. Set out various kinds of classic pizza cheeses — mozzarella, scamorza, Parmesan — as well.
- Get everyone involved. Start by dividing duties for the ingredient prep: shredding fresh cheeses, slicing veggies and pepperoni and browning sausages and ground beef. Then ask groups of people to create pizzas with their preferred ingredients and take turns baking them.
- Serve cookies from the Publix Bakery for a casual yet much appreciated dessert.
What about wine? You can't go wrong with Pinot Grigio, the traditional Italian white wine that goes with so many foods. Red-wine drinkers will enjoy the robust flavors of Syrah or Zinfandel with a boldly flavored pizza.