4 (1/3-lb) frozen burger patties
1 tablespoon barbecue rub or seasoning (such as brown sugar-bourbon or mesquite)
1 package sliced smoked ham (9–10 oz)
8 slices smoked cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns
1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickle chips
2 cups smoky barbecue potato chips
4 tablespoons smoky barbecue sauce
- Preheat grill (or grill pan). Season burgers with seasoning; divide ham into 4 even stacks. Place burgers and ham stacks on grill.
- Grill burgers 6–8 minutes on each side and until 165°F. Grill ham stacks 2–3 minutes on each side or until hot and grill-marked. Place 1 ham stack on each burger patty; top with 2 slices cheese.
- Toast buns on grill if desired. Place 1 burger on each bottom bun; top evenly with pickles and potato chips. Spread sauce onto each top bun, then place on top of burgers. Serve.
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 cup dill pickle chips, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pickle juice
2 teaspoons garlic-spice paste
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper
Pretzel crisps or potato chips, optional for dipping
- Place cream cheese in large bowl to soften. Chop shallot and pickles (reserve 1/4 cup pickle juice).
- Place all ingredients (except pickles and chips) in bowl with cream cheese; beat with electric mixer until combined. Gently stir (fold) in pickles. Chill until ready to serve. Serve with pretzel crisps or potato chips for dipping.
Nonstick aluminum foil
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 bag butter (or cheddar) flavored puffed corn (3–4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line baking sheet with foil. Combine in medium, nonstick saucepan over medium heat: butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 2 minutes, stirring often, or until mixture blends and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Place puffs in large bowl. Pour butter mixture over puffs; toss to coat (mixture will be VERY HOT). Arrange puffs in single layer on baking sheet; bake on center rack 30 minutes, stirring halfway through cook time. Let stand to cool 5 minutes before serving. (Makes 6 servings.)