2 (3-oz) packages shallots, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 lb grilling steaks (ribeye, NY strip, or tenderloin)
1 1/2 teaspoons Bakery bread-dip seasoning (Sicilian)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Preheat grill (or grill pan). Chop shallots.
- Place shallots, sugar, vinegar, and red pepper in small saucepan on medium-high. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 8–10 minutes or until sauce has thickened and shallots are tender.
- Season steaks on both sides with bread-dip seasoning and coat with oil (wash hands). Place steaks on grill; grill steaks 4–5 minutes on each side and until steaks are 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (for medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (for well done).
- Remove steaks from grill; let stand 5–10 minutes to rest. Temperature will rise 5–10°F during this time. Pour shallot sauce over steaks; sprinkle with cheese. Serve.
NOTE: The doneness temperatures for medium rare and medium stated above are traditional temperatures used for cooking steaks, but are not recommended by the USDA. To maintain food safety, the USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, as measured using a food thermometer, with a 3-minute rest time before carving.
8 oz frozen nondairy whipped topping
1 cinnamon coffee cake with crumb topping (12–17 oz)
4 medium fresh peaches
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup sweet white wine (or 100% white grape juice)
- Set topping out to thaw.
- Crumble about 3/4 of the coffee cake coarsely (to make 4 1/2 cups); reserve 1/2 cup crumbs for garnish.
- Peel peaches and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine syrup and wine in medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 10–12 minutes, stirring often, or until sauce has reduced by about one-half.
- Add peaches to sauce; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until peaches are tender. Chill 15–20 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Layer the dessert, in eight parfait glasses, in this order: 1/4 cup each cake crumbs, peaches and sauce, then whipped topping. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over parfaits. (Makes 8 servings.)