1 ripe mango, skin and seed removed
1 large red bell pepper
3/4 large red onion
1 beef shoulder tender (about 1 lb)
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 clove peeled garlic
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Mexican (or Southwest) seasoning
1 tablespoon canola oil
8 (6-inch) skewers
- Preheat grill (or grill pan).
- Peel mango. Dice one-half into 1/2-inch cubes; reserve other half to puree.
- Cut pepper and onion (3/4 cup) into 1-inch pieces for kabobs; cut beef into 1-inch pieces (wash hands).
- Combine reserved half of mango, cilantro, and garlic in food processor (or blender); process until smooth and set aside.
- Thread peppers, onions, and beef onto skewers, alternating items; coat with oil and seasoning. Place skewers on grill; grill 8–10 minutes, turning occasionally, and until meat is 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (for medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (for well done). Transfer kabobs to serving platter.
- Brush kabobs with mango sauce and top with diced mango. Serve with remaining sauce on the side for dipping.
NOTE: The doneness temperatures for medium rare and medium stated above are traditional temperatures used for cooking steaks, but are not recommended by the USDA. To maintain food safety, the USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, as measured using a food thermometer, with a 3-minute rest time.
1/4 large red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves peeled garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 cup tri-colored quinoa
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 (15-oz) can organic low-sodium black beans, drained
1 lime, for juice
- Chop onion (2 tablespoons) and garlic. Preheat 4-quart saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil, onions, garlic, and quinoa in pan; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer 18–20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Chop cilantro. Fluff quinoa with a fork; stir in beans and cilantro, then cover. Let stand 4–5 minutes or until beans are warm. Squeeze lime juice over quinoa mixture and serve.