1 (1 1/2 lb) boneless grilling steak (such as ribeye, New York strip, or top sirloin)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
6 slices thick-cut bacon
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup unsalted beef stock (or broth)
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Season steak with salt and pepper, then place on baking sheet with a flat roasting rack (wash hands). Roast steak 40–45 minutes or until steak is 120°F.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Cut bacon into bite-size pieces, then place in pan (wash hands); cook and stir 4–5 minutes or until crisp. Chop shallot. Remove pan from heat, then remove bacon and set aside, leaving bacon drippings in pan.
- Place same pan (with bacon drippings) on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place steak in pan; cook 2–3 minutes on each side and until steak is 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (for medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (for well done). Transfer steak to cutting board; let stand 5–10 minutes before slicing. Temperature will rise 5–10°F during this time.
- Add shallots to same pan; cook 1–2 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle in flour; cook and stir 1–2 minutes or until mixture has a nutty smell. Pour stock into pan; cook 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until combined and sauce has thickened.
- Chop parsley (leaves only). Add bacon to sauce. Slice steak. Serve sauce over steak and sprinkle with parsley.
NOTE: The doneness temperatures for medium rare and medium stated above are traditional temperatures used for cooking steak, but are not recommended by the USDA. To maintain food safety, the USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, as measured using a food thermometer, with a 3-minute rest time before carving.
2 tablespoons fresh basil, coarsely chopped
2 pints grape tomatoes
1/2 cup whole Kalamata olives
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Chop basil (leaves only); halve tomatoes (if desired). Place in salad bowl: basil, tomatoes, olives, and cheese.
- Pour in oil, salt, and pepper; toss to coat. Marinate at least 10 minutes before serving.