4 lb boneless NY strip loin roast
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 1/2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cups red wine (or beef broth)
1 cup cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Season roast with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; place in roasting pan (wash hands). Add broth and wine around roast. Bake roast 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350°F; cook 1–1 1/2 hours and until roast is 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (well done). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Transfer roast to cutting board; let stand 10–15 minutes before slicing. Temperature will rise 5–10°F during this time.
- Chop rosemary and thyme; place in medium bowl. Transfer garlic and oil to food processor (or blender); add 1/2 teaspoon pepper and blend until a paste forms. Mix paste with herbs.
- Spread garlic mixture on roast; bake 15–20 more minutes or until roast is 145°F (for medium rare). (If cooking past medium rare, add more broth, as needed). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Roast weights vary; adjust cook time as needed.)
- Transfer roast to cutting board; let stand 15 minutes. Slice roast and serve with pan juices.
1/2 loaf Bakery Italian bread
1 wedge sharp white Cheddar cheese (about 4 oz)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium pears, peeled and grated
1 medium leek, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 eggs, beaten (or 1 1/4 cups egg substitute)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop garlic. Peel and grate pears.
- Cut leek in half lengthwise and rinse well. Chop leek, white part only (1 cup).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add garlic and leeks; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until browned and tender. Stir in cream and thyme; remove pan from heat and let stand 5–10 minutes to cool. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes (5–6 cups). Shred cheese.
- Coat 9-inch square baking dish with spray. Combine in large bowl: bread, pears, one-half of the cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk eggs in a small bowl, then stir into cooled leek mixture. Stir leek mixture into bread until well blended; transfer to baking dish.
- Top with remaining half of cheese and cover dish with foil; bake 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15 more minutes to brown top. Serve.