3 lb beef oxtails
1 1/2 teaspoons Caribbean (or jerk) seasoning, divided
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 (32-oz) box chicken stock
2 (15.5-oz) cans chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery, & onion, undrained
1 (14.5-oz) can diced potatoes, drained
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
-- Slice onion.
- Preheat large stockpot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season oxtails with 1 teaspoon seasoning. Place oil in pan, then add oxtails; cook and turn 3–4 minutes until well browned. Meanwhile, slice onion.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (including remaining 1/2 teaspoon jerk seasoning); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover; cook 2–2 1/2 hours or until oxtails are tender. Skim fat from stew and remove bay leaf; serve.
1 lb fresh tropical fruit salad (fresh pineapple, strawberries, kiwi)
1 lime, for zest/juice
3 tablespoons guava jelly
4 (4.5-oz) cups flan
1/2 cup aerosol whipped cream
- Drain juice from fruit into medium microwave-safe bowl. Cut fruit into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
- Cut zest curls from lime for garnish. Squeeze 1/2 lime for juice (1 tablespoon) into fruit juice.
- Add jelly to juice; microwave on HIGH for 30–35 seconds or just until slightly warm. Stir until blended.
- Stir in fruit until evenly coated; chill until ready to serve.
- Transfer flan to a serving dish. Spoon fruit over flan; top with whipped cream and lime zest. Serve.