2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled & diced 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium carrots, peeled & diced 1/2-inch pieces
10 whole okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon garlic blend paste
4 cups water
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon chicken base
2 habanero peppers
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- Heat oil in 6-quart stockpot over medium-high 3–4 minutes. Add onion, sweet potato, carrots, okra, and garlic; cook 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables become slightly tender.
- Add water, chicken, tomato sauce, salt, chicken base, and habanero peppers. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 12–14 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter until well blended. Simmer 3–4 more minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender and chicken is 165°F. Remove habanero peppers and discard. Serve over cooked rice (if desired).
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons ground red pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 ripe yellow plantains, peeled & cut into bite-sized cubes
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine in large mixing bowl: ginger, red pepper, allspice, garlic powder, salt, and oil until blended. Add plantains and toss to coat.
- Preheat vegetable oil in cast iron skillet over medium-high to 350°F. Fry plantains 2–3 minutes, turning a few times as needed, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined baking sheet; cool slightly before serving.