2 1/2 cups whole milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 package refrigerated mashed sweet potatoes (20–24 oz)
5 large eggs (or 1 1/4 cups egg substitute)
1 package corn muffin mix (6–8.5 oz)
2/3 cup apple butter
Small zip-top (or pastry) bag
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place in large microwave-safe bowl: milk, butter, salt, and peppers; microwave on HIGH for 3–4 minutes or until warm and butter is melted. Remove from microwave and whisk to combine.
- Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with spray. Combine in second large bowl: sweet potatoes, eggs, and corn muffin mix; slowly whisk in milk mixture until combined. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Place apple butter in zip-top bag, then seal bag and snip off one corner. Squeeze lines of apple butter lengthwise over batter (about 2 inches apart), then carefully drag a knife though batter vertically to create design.
- Bake 40–45 minutes or until edges are golden and center is set. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
2 (10-oz) packages fresh cauliflower florets, sliced
1/4 bunch fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup pitted dates (about 8), coarsely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 cup pine nuts (or slivered almonds)
1/4 cup lemon vinaigrette
2 teaspoons creamy almond (or peanut) butter
2 tablespoons capers (optional)
- Slice cauliflower. Chop parsley (1/4 cup), dates, and shallots (1/4 cup). Combine cauliflower, oil, salt, and paprika; toss to coat.
- Preheat large, nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place pine nuts in pan; cook 1–2 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly toasted, then remove nuts and set aside. Add cauliflower mixture to same pan; cook 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until cauliflower is tender and has browned slightly.
- Whisk vinaigrette and almond butter thoroughly. Add vinaigrette mixture, dates, shallots, nuts, and capers (if desired) to pan; cook and stir 1 more minute. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve warm.
1 cup walnut pieces
1 (8.5-oz) package precooked quinoa and brown rice
2 medium sweet apples
1 (12-oz) bag fresh broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup lemon vinaigrette
1/4 cup honey
4 oz crumbled feta (or goat) cheese
- Toast walnuts (if desired). Microwave quinoa following package instructions, then chill until cold (about 5 minutes). Core apples and cut into 1/2-inch cubes; place in large bowl. Chop broccoli and basil, then add to bowl with apples.
- Combine vinaigrette and honey; whisk until blended. Stir quinoa into apple mixture; add vinaigrette mixture and toss to coat, then stir in walnuts and cheese. Chill until ready to serve.