2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 whole cut-up chicken (about 3 1/2 lb)
1 medium sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
6 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine chili powder, brown sugar, seasoning, salt, and red pepper; stir to blend, then divide in half. Place chicken in large bowl; toss with one-half of the spice mixture, rubbing mixture into chicken pieces until coated. Chill 1 hour (or overnight).
- Chop onion and garlic. Preheat medium saucepan on medium 1–2 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions and garlic; cook 4–5 minutes or until vegetables are browned. Preheat grill on medium.
- Stir blueberries and remaining-half spice mixture into vegetables; cook 3–4 minutes or until berries begin to break down. Pour in barbecue sauce and reduce heat to low; simmer 6–8 minutes, stirring often, or until sauce is thick and glossy. Cover and remove pan from heat.
- Place chicken on grill; cook 18–20 minutes, turning often, or until well browned and chicken is 165°F. Brush chicken with blueberry barbecue sauce during last minute of grill time. (Note: Check temperature of thighs and legs first; breasts may require up to 15 minutes more cook time.) Serve with remaining sauce on the side.
1 lb frozen pound cake, thawed
8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 cups water, divided
1 (3-oz) package berry blue gelatin mix
1 (3-oz) package strawberry gelatin mix
1 cup fresh strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
- Thaw cake and whipped topping.
- Pour 1 cup water each into two microwave-safe bowls; microwave each bowl individually on HIGH until boiling. Stir berry gelatin into one bowl and strawberry gelatin into second bowl until dissolved. Let stand 10 minutes to cool.
- Slice cake (about 18 slices) and strawberries. Dip 9 cake slices into berry gelatin mixture, then layer into a 9-inch baking dish; pour any remaining berry gelatin mixture over cake. Sprinkle 1/2 cup blueberries over cake, then spread 4 oz whipped topping evenly over cake and blueberries.
- Dip remaining 9 cake slices into strawberry gelatin mixture, then layer over whipped topping; pour any remaining strawberry gelatin mixture over cake. Spread remaining 4 oz whipped topping evenly over cake.
- Decorate top of cake with remaining 1/2 cup blueberries and strawberries. Cover and chill 1 hour (or overnight). Serve. (Makes 9 servings.)
Note: For a larger cake, double the recipe and assemble in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Decorate the top of the cake to look like an American flag if desired.