2 large red onions, sliced
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chipotle (or chili) powder
Large zip-top bag
1 1/2 lb boneless grilling steaks (such as ribeye, New York strip, or tenderloin)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cut onions into 1-inch slices. Combine molasses, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and chipotle powder; whisk until blended. Place 1/2 of the marinade in zip-top bag and reserve remaining 1/2 for later use. Add steaks and onions to zip-top bag; knead to coat, then let stand 20 minutes (or overnight) to marinate.
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) on medium. Remove steaks and onions from bag (discard marinade); sprinkle with salt. Grill 3–4 minutes on each side or until onions are tender and grill-marked and steaks are 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (for medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (for well done). Let steaks stand 3 minutes to rest.
- Cut onions into bite-size pieces; toss with remaining 1/2 marinade. Slice steaks; serve topped with onions.
NOTE: The doneness temperatures for medium rare and medium stated above are traditional temperatures used for cooking steaks, but are not recommended by the USDA. To maintain food safety, the USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, as measured using a food thermometer, with a 3-minute rest time before carving.
1 (16-oz) package pull-apart refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough
2/3 cup mixed-berry preserves (or jam)
2 cups fresh mixed berries (such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries)
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat pizza pan (or baking sheet) with spray. Place cookie dough on pizza pan (as packaged), then flatten dough (using fingers) into a single 1/2-inch-thick round cookie.
- Bake cookie 14–16 minutes or until edges are crisp and center is set. Let stand 5 minutes to cool.
- Spread preserves in even layer over cookie, leaving 1/2-inch border, then sprinkle evenly with berries. Place peanut butter in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until runny. Drizzle peanut butter over berries, then let stand to cool completely before carefully transferring cookie from pan onto cutting board (using 2 spatulas). Slice and serve. (Makes 12 servings.)