1/4 cup shallots, coarsely chopped
4 slices thick-cut bacon
1 lb sea scallops, thawed if necessary
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup spiced apple cider
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
3 cups watercress (or arugula) leaves
- Chop shallots and bacon (wash hands). Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2–3 minutes. Place bacon in pan; cook 4 minutes. Add shallots and cook 2–3 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until bacon is crisp and shallots are tender. Remove bacon and shallots (leave 2 tablespoons bacon fat in pan); set aside.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper; place in same sauté pan on medium-high and cook 1 minute without turning. Combine apple cider, vinegar, and honey. Remove scallops from pan. Place vinegar mixture in pan and cook 4–5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sauce thickens.
- Return scallops and bacon mixture to pan; cook 2 more minutes or until sauce coats scallops and scallops are opaque. Place watercress on platter; top with scallop mixture. Serve.
1 (24-oz) package mashed sweet potatoes
1 medium sweet red apple
1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala (or ground cinnamon)
- Prepare potatoes following package instructions. Grate apple (about 1 cup); squeeze liquid from apple and drain. Chop parsley.
- Stir garam masala and apples into potatoes until combined. Top with parsley; serve.