2 limes, for juice
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 split chicken breasts (about 2 lb)
Large zip-top bag
2 tablespoons ground achiote (or annatto)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons Maggi seasoning sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Roasted potatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Squeeze limes for juice (3 tablespoons).
- Chop garlic (2 teaspoons).
- Cut chicken into four portions; place in zip-top bag.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Squeeze limes for juice (3 tablespoons). Chop garlic (2 teaspoons). Cut chicken into four portions; place in zip-top bag.
- Whisk lime juice, garlic, achiote, oregano, cumin, Maggi seasoning, wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil until well blended and add to bag with chicken; seal bag and turn to coat chicken. Let stand 10 minutes to marinate (or overnight for more flavor).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade); season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper (wash hands). Place remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add chicken; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Transfer chicken to baking sheet. Bake 30–35 minutes and until chicken is 165°F. Let stand 4–5 minutes before serving. Complete meal with roasted potatoes, if desired.