1 lb peeled/deveined large shrimp, tails removed, thawed
4 slices thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
4 cups water
1 cup quick cooking grits
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 (8-oz) container sliced button mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup presliced green onions
- Thaw shrimp; remove tails. Coarsely chop bacon (wash hands) and finely chop garlic (1/2 teaspoon).
- Slice lemon in half; squeeze one-half lemon for juice (1 tablespoon). Slice remaining one-half lemon into quarters; reserve.
- Add 4 cups water to 2-quart saucepan; bring to a boil on high. Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits. Cook 2–3 minutes or until tender, whisking frequently. Whisk in both cheeses, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and set aside.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2–3 minutes. Add bacon; cook and stir 6–7 minutes or until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside. Reserve bacon fat in sauté pan.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to pan. Cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until mushrooms brown. Season shrimp with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and smoked paprika; add shrimp to pan. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add lemon juice, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, broth, and hot sauce; cook 1–2 minutes more until sauce thickens and shrimp turn pink and opaque.
- Divide grits between 4 bowls; top each with shrimp and sauce. Garnish each bowl with bacon, green onions, and lemon wedges.