1 leek (white part only), chopped
1 bunch fresh kale, chopped
1 (12-oz) bag carrot sticks, chopped
2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 (24-oz) bag baby gold (or red) potatoes, sliced
1 lb salmon fillets, skin removed
1 lb chicken sausage with kale (or mild Italian chicken sausage), casing removed
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cups no-salt-added chicken stock (or broth)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic-herb butter
- Cut leek (white part only) into quarters, then rinse and chop into small pieces.
- Chop kale (4 cups), carrots, parsley, and thyme. Halve potatoes.
- Cut salmon into 1-inch cubes. Remove sausage from casing (wash hands). Preheat large stockpot on medium 2–3 minutes. Add oil and sausage; brown 4–5 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, and until no pink remains.
- Stir in carrots, leeks, and thyme; cook 2–3 minutes or until leeks have softened. Stir in stock, water, potatoes, kale, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer, then cover and continue to simmer 25–30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Gently stir in salmon, parsley, and vinegar. Bring mixture to a simmer, then cover and remove from heat. Let coddle stand 5–6 minutes until salmon is cooked through and 145°F. Stir butter in gently and serve.