6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices Bakery Italian Five-Grain Bread
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
8 oz whole baby portabellas, halved
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef, 7% fat
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 (9-oz) box frozen creamed spinach
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
3 tablespoons gourmet mayonnaise w/mustard, peppercorns
1 tablespoon water
1 (24-oz) container refrigerated mashed potatoes
- Toast bread (optional).
- Chop onion and thyme; halve mushrooms.
- Form beef into six patties; season with salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in shallow dish. Dip patties in flour (coating both sides). Wash hands.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium 2–3 minutes. Place 2 tablespoons oil in pan, then add patties; cook 4–5 minutes on each side or until browned. Meanwhile, cook spinach in microwave following package instructions. Remove patties from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onions, and mushrooms (to same pan); cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in broth, gourmet mayonnaise, and thyme; bring to a simmer.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon flour and water; whisk into broth mixture. Return patties to pan; simmer 4–5 minutes, turning occasionally, or until beef is 160°F. Meanwhile, cook potatoes in microwave following package instructions.
- Combine potatoes and spinach until well blended.
- Assemble each open-faced sandwich in this order: bread, potato mixture, beef patty, then top with sauce. Serve.