4 cloves fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
2 lb boneless beef chuck roast
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (8-oz) package tomato trinity mix (fresh diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
2 cups unsalted beef stock
1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups tomato vegetable juice (spicy or regular)
1 (3.65-oz) chili starter kit (with masa flour)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup presliced green onions
- Chop garlic.
- Cut beef into 2-inch cubes (wash hands).
MULTICOOKER (Active Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes)
- Set multicooker to the Sauté setting and preheat 2–3 minutes.
- Pour oil inside, then add beef (in batches, if needed) and cook 2–3 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned.
- Add garlic, trinity mix, stock, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and seasoning mix packet (from chili kit); stir to combine.
- Lock lid into place. Set multicooker to the Meat/Stew setting; cook 45 minutes until beef is pull-apart tender (145°F).
SLOW COOKER (Active Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: 5 hours, 20 minutes)
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Coat beef with 2 tablespoons seasoning mix packet (from chili kit). Pour oil in pan, then add beef (in batches, if needed); cook 1–2 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned on all sides. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Add garlic, trinity mix, stock, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and remaining seasoning mix packet; stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH for 4–5 hours (or LOW for 7–8 hours) until beef is pull-apart tender (145°F).
- Remove beef and shred with two forks, then return to chili.
- Combine masa flour packet (from chili kit) and water, then stir into chili; re-cover and let stand 3–4 minutes or until chili thickens. Top with green onions; serve.
Note: For a spicier chili, add the red pepper packet (from chili kit) with all other ingredients into the multicooker/slow cooker.