1 large Granny Smith apple
2 tablespoons butter
1 (8 oz) container diced fresh yellow onions
2 (15 oz) cans pumpkin puree
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or stock)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup maple syrupFor croutons
1 (20 oz) loaf Bakery breakfast bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 (8 oz) wedge Brie cheese
3 tablespoons salted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Prepare soup. Peel apple and remove core, then cut into small cubes. Preheat a large stockpot on medium 1–2 minutes. Place butter in pot to melt. Add apples and onions; cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened.
- Add pumpkin, broth, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir to combine. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot. Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half.
- Place soup in separate bowl. Add one-half of the soup to blender (or food processor bowl); pulse on HIGH 1–2 minutes until very smooth. Return soup to pot; repeat with remaining half of soup. Reduce heat to low to keep soup warm while preparing croutons.
- Prepare croutons. Cut bread into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices; arrange 4 slices on cutting board. Slice Brie into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices of cheese in a single layer over each slice of bread, completely covering the surface; top with remaining 4 slices of bread. Spread butter on all outer-facing sides of bread.
- Preheat large, nonstick sauté pan on medium-low 2–3 minutes. Place sandwiches in pan; cook 3–4 minutes each side or until golden brown and cheese has melted. Transfer to a cooling rack; sprinkle evenly with sea salt and thyme leaves. Let stand 2 minutes to cool. Slice each sandwich into 4 strips; serve soup with Brie Croutons, a drizzle of maple syrup, and pepitas.
Amount per 1/8 recipe serving: Calories 680, Total Fat 34.00g, Sat Fat 16.00g, Trans Fat 0.00g, Chol 90mg, Sodium 1210mg, Total Carb 79g, Fiber 7.00g, Sugars 41g, Protein 20g, Calc 25%, Vit A 290%, Vit C 15%, Iron 20%