... For pulled pork
1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, divided
1 cup sugar
7 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
1 (8–10 lb) whole bone-in pork butt
1 bunch green onions, cut in half
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup mirin wine
1 cup water
... For barbecue sauce
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, minced
5 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
4 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups ketchup
2/3 cup rice vinegar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons onion powder
... For tacos
1 (10-ct) package soft taco shells
See Carrot and Cucumber Kimchi recipe (optional for topping)
See Black-Eyed Pea Salad recipe (optional for topping)
- Prepare pulled pork. Peel ginger, then mince 3/4 inch (3 tablespoons) and cut 1 1/4 inch into 5 (1/4-inch-thick) slices. Mix sugars, salt, and minced ginger until combined. Cover pork butt completely with sugar mixture, then transfer to large bowl and cover with plastic wrap; chill for at least 6 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut green onions in half; mince garlic (4 teaspoons). Place green onions, garlic, sliced ginger, mirin, and water in roasting pan. Discard any juices from pork, then lay pork over green onions mixture.
- Roast pork 1 hour, then reduce heat to 300°F and roast 5 more hours or until pork is fork tender and 195°F. Baste pork with pan juices every hour. Let stand 1 hour to rest.
- Prepare barbecue sauce. Preheat medium saucepan on medium-high for 2–3 minutes. Peel ginger, then mince ginger (2 tablespoons) and garlic (4 tablespoons); chop green onions. Add oil to pan, then stir in garlic and green onions; cook 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients; reduce heat and simmer 20–30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened. Shred meat with two forks, then coat with barbecue sauce.
- Assemble tacos. Divide barbecue pulled pork among soft taco shells, top with Carrot and Cucumber Kimchi and Black-Eyed Pea Salad (or favorite toppings) if desired.