Summer is an ideal time to experiment with new grilling recipes, marinades, and techniques that align with your health goals. Check out our sizzling ideas for grilling with wellness in mind.
Summertime and the Grilling Is Easy
Daylight lingers just a little longer, and the gentle hum of crickets seems to call you to the backyard. Now is the time to fire up the grill—a cooking method that lends itself to adding flavor to lighter meals.
As your wellness ally, Publix offers a variety of grilling ideas to bring balance to your summer table. Start by choosing proteins that fit your tastes and needs. Let’s walk through some lighter options that are perfect for grilling.
What’s Your Beef?
- Look for lean or extra-lean cuts with less fat and less saturated fat.
- Check out these pointers for grilling steak.
- FLAVOR TIP: Beef is made to marinate. For tender beef cuts, marinate for 15 minutes to 2 hours in the refrigerator. For less tender cuts, such as flank steak, marinate for 6–24 hours.
- Try these Better Choice recipes:
Pick Your Pork
- Look for lean or extra-lean cuts with less saturated fat.
- FLAVOR TIP: For tender, juicy pork chops, loins, and tenderloins, cook to an internal temperature of 145°F, followed by a five-minute rest to seal in the juices.1
- Enjoy our Jerk Pork Tenderloin recipe, which meets our Better Choice criteria.
Select Your Chicken
- A versatile protein, chicken is ideal for grilling and complements many dishes.
- Select skinless white meat chicken or skinless dark meat cuts, such as legs or thighs.
- GreenWise Chicken Sausage is a delicious go-to for summer grilling.
- These simple recipes meet our Better Choice criteria:
Discover all the benefits of cooking out with GreenWise meats and poultry.
Sizzle with Seafood
- Grilling seafood is a fast, easy way to get your two servings per week, as recommended by the 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 2
- Bring out the delicious grilled flavor of salmon, snapper, tuna, mahi-mahi, cobia, swordfish, halibut, catfish, scallops, or shrimp.
- PREP TIP: Coat your fish with cooking spray before grilling to prevent sticking.
- Try these fish recipes that meet our Better Choice criteria:
Shortcut for Success
Try this time-saving meal idea for those days when you need to cut a few corners to get that balanced, delicious dinner on the table.
Crowd—Pleasing Kabobs— Grab some ready-to-grill kabobs (sirloin or top round steak, pork loin, turkey breast, or chicken) with vegetables from the Publix Meat department. Pick up your favorite marinade and add a bag of frozen brown rice or quinoa blend from the frozen section.
Grill Plant-Based Delights
- Portabella mushroom caps are delicious grilled and just the right size for hamburger buns.
- Tempeh and tofu from the Produce department, and veggie burgers from the frozen section, are other grill-friendly substitutes for meat.
- Eggplant, sweet potatoes, squash, asparagus, parsnips—grilled vegetables are nothing less than delightful.
- Be sure to try our Grilled Vegetable Salad recipe, which can also be a relish—make it once, use it twice.
- You can even grill dessert! Try our Grilled Honey Lime Pineapple Skewers.
- Or grill your favorite summer produce, such as watermelon and peaches.
Adding Marinades and Rubs
Marinades and rubs may add zest to your protein, but some are high in sodium, saturated fat, gluten, or artificial ingredients. Follow these guidelines to choose wisely based on your needs.
- Salad dressings can make great marinades!
- Look for the Better Choice shelf tags while you shop to find options with less saturated fat, sodium, and added sugar.
- Try marinades with leaf or gluten free icons on their shelf tags.
Fire Up the Grill!
Don’t forget the grilling tools. Check out our housewares aisle for items such as digital meat thermometers, basting brushes, cedar planks, tongs, and chrome skewers.
Looking for more? See our tips on grilling and living well. Or search for more Better Choice recipes for the grill.
1 National Pork Board. "Pork Temperature." Pork Checkoff. Accessed March 19, 2018.
2 U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS).
"A Closer Look Inside Healthy Eating Patterns: About Seafood." 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 8th ed. November 21, 2016.
Interested in Health & Wellness?
Sign up for a Publix.com account—or log in if you already have one—and opt in to Health & Wellness Communications from our list for timely emails about health and wellness topics.